Outside Plant™ (OSP™) Designer
About the BICSI OSP Certification
Many organizations require the BICSI OSP credential for design and installation personnel on outside plant projects.
OSP Design includes planning, development and documentation of workable and/or buildable OSP cabling systems.
OSP Installation includes procurement, deployment and verification of an OSP design.
Your knowledge and expertise will be tested in the following areas:
1. Pre-Design Preparation
2. Perform Site Survey
3. Select Media, Platform, and Cables
4. Design Underground Platform and Spaces
5. Design Buried Platform and Spaces
6. Design Aerial Platform and Spaces
7. Prepare Design
8. Quality Control Process
9. Professional Responsibilities
The OSP credential will show your clients and employers that you are uniquely qualified and know the correct methods and approach to plan, develop, manage and supervise outside plant projects safely and effectively–which puts you and your company
ahead of the competition.
Outside Plant (OSP) Designer Credentialing Process
What you need to know about the OSP Credential?
- Positive Impact on Professional Image
- New Job and Promotion Opportunities
- Higher Salary Possibilities
- Expands ICT Career Field
- Recognized by the ICT Community and Employers
- Provides a Unique Skillset to an ICT Designer
- Uses the Latest Technologies, Methods and Best Practices
- Critical in Modern High Bandwidth Applications
- Engineered by OSP Experts
- Recognized Globally
- Built with Your Career in Mind
- Meets the Highest Standards
Download OSP Certification Handbook (PDF)
Exam Eligibility Requirements
Applicants must meet specific educational and/or work experience criteria at the time they submit their application in order to be eligible to take the OSP exam.
Hold a current RCDD® credential.
Two years' experience in OSP design and/or installation AND 32 hours of documented OSP design and/or installation education.
Two years' experience in OSP design/installation AND hold a current TECHTM, DCDC® or RTPM® .
Learn about new eligibility requirements announced earlier this year.
What Credential Holders are Saying About their OSP Credential
"(The OSP) is the perfect companion to the ISP-heavy RCDD certification, and my position at the time required both inside plant and outside plant design. It has helped me obtain two OSP positions since I obtained the OSP certification.”
– Marty Emrick, RCDD, OSP, OSP Engineer, Black & Veatch, Tampa, Florida
“I knew I wanted further qualifications after gaining the RCDD designation. Achieving the OSP credential has been valuable in many aspects of my career. I’m now recognized as a confident and credible authority in OSP. I’ve enhanced my skill set. And I am continuously developing my professional status in the ICT industry.”
– Lindon Haigh, RCDD, OSP, Senior ICT Manager, Russell-Smith, Hobart, Australia
“Holding the OSP has allowed me to take part in the project management of outside plant construction and optical fiber networks of great importance.”
– Eduardo Belleza Zamora, RCDD, OSP, RTPM, Project Manager, B&Z Telecom, Lima, Peru