Outside Plant Design Reference Manual (OSPDRM), 6th Edition
Outside plant (OSP) cabling and infrastructure has evolved into the vital element that supports all voice and data communications globally. Even today’s wireless networks are supported by a wide array of OSP cabling and infrastructure, empowering individuals to communicate as they need.
The Outside Plant Design Reference Manual (OSPDRM), 6th edition won a prestigious Award of Merit from the Society for Technical Communication.
Written by industry experts representing thousands of completed projects, the OSPDRM, 6th edition contains new and updated material on the following:
- OSP-specific information on passive optical networks (PON)
- Material to cover OSP aerial installation of all dielectric self-supporting cable (ADSS)
- New chapter on maintenance and restoration of outside plant
- Information on radio frequency over glass (RFoG) specific to OSP fiber optic installations
- Information for additional excavation methods for direct-buried cable and pathways (i.e., vacuum, hydro-vac, and air nozzle)
- New storm loading requirements for aerial OSP design to include the U.S. Warm Islands zone per requirements in 2017 NESC
- A project design chapter that includes updated relevant project management information as it concerns OSP design and added information on geographic information systems (GIS)
- Updated fiber cable types (added OM5, removed OM1 and OM2 as no longer recognized for new installations)
- Information regarding air-assisted cable installation
- Material related to joint-use/make-ready activities for OSP aerial plant
- Expanded Appendix A
- Glossary updated
- General updates, including changes resulting from the release of the 2017 edition of the NESC concerning clearances and grounding/bonding requirements.
The OSPDRM, in conjunction with the OSP series courses, serves as a detailed study reference for the BICSI OSP Design exam.
System Requirements and Installation Instructions
Compatible Operating Systems
Windows (All versions Windows 7 and later), Mac OS X, Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Reader, all mobile web browsers, iOS, Android